Friday, September 30, 2005

It's show time. I've been from one end of the state to the other with specialties and all breed shows and even a trip to the Big E (Eastern States Exposition) to share a booth with the Sheep Breeders Assoc. of Connecticut. It's such a great time to show everyone my sweaters and talk dogs.


Last Thursday it was off to the Labrador Retriever Specialty in North Stonington. It was a very hot day and it was interesting watching a breed where they can jump into the water between trips into the ring. It would take a Sam hours to dry but these dogs are wash and wear.

I met a wonderful 11 week old Labrador puppy named Whinnie. She is in training to be a service dog working with special needs children. Nancy Bard, her breeder and trainer, is developing a program in Eastern Connecticut. Whinnie is not only a special dog for what she will be doing but she's also a beautiful example of the breed.
Whinnie will be one of the dogs featured in the upcoming The Crafty Labrador Retriever - Knits and she has been an inspiration for at least one of the designs. I also got to spend time with her and Nancy when I worked the Big E (the Eastern States Exposition) in the Connecticut Building on Wednesday night.

This was my first trip to the Big E and I was overwhelmed by the amount of humanity that passes through this park every day. I'm use to it being almost empty when we use the facility for dog shows. It was quite an experience talking with the visitors and the people in the CT Sheep Breeders Assoc. whose booth I shared. I loved the portable spinning wheel that was used for demonstrating the spinning technique. This was much easier to use than the wheel I used when I learned to spin. -- Sorry folks, I don't spin dog hair for my sweaters. I barely have time to keep my dogs combed out with six Sams. That's why I included a section in the books where dog owners can send the hair to have it spun to be knit into their sweaters.


At the weekend shows I got to see old friends, though we all froze on Sunday when the rain clouds came in and the temperature dropped. I regretted having finished the afghan I was making on Saturday. I did see old friends who were walking around showing off my sweater creations that I had made them showing off their dogs.

Now I design and try to contact all the people whose names were given me to help with information on the books. I am on a search to find people with stories about the activities in which their dogs participate to add to my books. Never a dull minute.

No comments: