Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The 2007 Samoyed National Specialty: The Pedigree Book

Summer was a blur with the preparation for the National. In the world of pure bred dogs, this is the big one. This is the show in each breed that when you win, for that year, you are the top. Those who do achieve that level go into the history books, so needless to say, it's what everyone with a dog entered looks forward to all year.

For me it wasn't just the summer, but the spring as well since I had been drafted to create the Pedigree Book for the National. This was the insane annual idea begun in 2002 by the idiot, Peggy Gaffney, so I have only myself to blame. It gives owners a chance to feature their dog with a 3 generation pedigree and photo. It provides a guide to the breed and an historic record. This year, since I've published three knitting books of my own, I was again drafted to create the book gathering information from almost one hundred exhibitors and editing it into a worthy record of the breed.

The book turned out to be a great success and so the Samoyeds recorded there will have their place in history whether they made the big win at the National or not. The show, held in Lancaster, PA featured hundreds of beautiful entries competing in breed, obedience, weight pull, agility, and herding. But more about the actual show later.

No comments: